Mr. Toby Chu is the founder, President and Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of CIBT Education Group Inc. (“CIBT”) headquartered in Vancouver, Canada. Mr. Chu founded CIBT in 1994 and has since developed the company into an international corporation with 47 offices in Canada, China, Philippines, and other Asian countries.
In 1994, Mr. Chu implemented CIBT’s expansion plan by establishing the CIBT School of Business & Technology Corp. CIBT owns and operates a chain of campuses, teaching centres, joint program locations and recruitment offices globally offering business management, technology, health care, vocational trade, and travel tourism programs in Canada and abroad.
To realize his vision of global education, Mr. Chu acquired Sprott Shaw College in 2007, the largest private career college in Western Canada since 1903 with 16 campuses worldwide. Sprott-Shaw became the core infrastructure, academic resource and content provider for CIBT Education Group. By 2019, Sprott Shaw College transformed from a predominantly domestic college and became one of the largest private colleges across Canada enrolling over 12,000 students per year with students from 50 countries.
In 2010, Mr. Chu structured the acquisition of King George International College (“KGIC”) for 4.3 million dollars. KGIC is one of the largest English language training schools in Canada. KGIC became the group’s rudimentary English training provider, global recruitment channel and international pipeline for CIBT Group’s network of career and degree-granting colleges in China and Canada. After three years of reorganization, Mr. Chu sold KGIC for 13.5 million dollars. In 2017, Mr. Chu re-acquired all the assets of KGIC the second time in 5 years for $3.1 million dollars and transformed it’s brand to Sprott Shaw Language College.
In 2014, Mr. Chu initiated the student-housing division of the company called Global Education City (“GEC”) by acquiring several hotels, serviced apartments and development properties. Utilizing the pipeline of domestic and international students owned by CIBT’s education platform and a network of over one hundred school partners in Metro Vancouver, GEC’s student housing business grew exponentially in a few short years. Total real estate portfolio grew to $1.4 billion with ten properties in Metro Vancouver, generated over $23 million in rental revenue, and the portfolio value appreciated by over $300 million within five years.
Mr. Chu is the recipients of numerous prestigious awards. In 1993, Mr. Chu was named the “Top 40 Business People under the Age of 40.” In 1994, Mr. Chu became the top 30 finalists among 300 nominees across Canada for the Entrepreneur of the Year Award. In 2015, Mr. Chu earned the Entrepreneur of the Year Award by the Association of Chinese Canadian Entrepreneurs. Under Mr. Chu’s management CIBT earned the following recognition during the past two decades:
- Top 400 Fastest-Growing Companies in Canada in 2020, by Globe and Mail’s Report on Business Magazine
- Top 500 America’s Fastest-Growing Companies 2020, ranked by the Financial Times, London
- Top 100 Fastest-Growing Companies in Canada in 1993, 2003, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, ranked by Profit Magazine
- Top 100 Fastest-Growing Companies in BC from 2015 to 2020, by Business in Vancouver newspaper
- Top 100 Public Companies in British Columbia from 2008 to 2020, by Business in Vancouver newspaper
- Succeeding Profiles of Chinese Canadian Entrepreneurs by the Asia Pacific Foundation
- Top 2 Best International Prep College in China by sohu.com in 2009
- Top 5 Sino-Foreign Colleges in China by edu.qq.com in 2009
- Top 10 Most Influential Sino-Foreign MBA Programs in China by China’s Executive Weekly Magazine in 2004 and 2007
- Top 5 TSX-Venture Listed Companies by the TSX-Venture Exchange in 2008
- Top 500 Largest Publicly Traded Companies across Canada by Report on Business magazine
- Ranked in 8th position on the OCTQX’s 2018 Best 50 Top Performing companies